- INCI Name: Sodium Levulinate
- Chemical Name: Sodium Levulinate
- CAS No: 19856-23-6
What is Sodium Levulinate?
Sodium Levulinate is the sodium salt of levulinic acid, and is used as a preservative and skin conditioning agent in cosmetics and personal care products.
It increases the shelf life of a product and stops microbes and bacteria from multiplying in the formulation. It makes the skin and hair – smooth, soft and supple.
Benefits of Sodium Levulinate
- Acting as a preservative.
It is used for its preservative and antimicrobial nature. It can be added as “preservative-free” formulation in cosmetic and personal care products.
It is a mild preservative which is often used paired with sodium anisate, the two ingredients make for a comprehensive preservative for cosmetics.
- Acting as a conditioning agent.
It is great at absorbing moisture which keeps the skin hydrated and plump.Helping to condition and soften the skin, Sodium Levulinate helps the skin and hair stay smooth, soft, and supple.
Uses & Applications
Personal care and cosmetic
- Mild ang green preservative
- Suitable for all types of emulsions and surfactant-based products.
- Easy-to-process alternative to traditional preservatives.
- Designed for formulating antiperspirants & deodorants, color cosmetics, skin cleansing, hair-, skin-, sun and oral care products.
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet –Sodium Levulinate
Material Safety Data Sheet– Sodium Levulinate
p-Anisic acid is typically used as a preservative in cosmetics and skin care products due to its antioxidant and antiseptic properties.
Sodium Anisate is the sodium salt of p-anisic acid with an excellent fungicidal activity, classified as antimicrobial and flavouring.
Caprylhydroxamic acid can be used in a formula system free of preservative, also used as a chelating agent in cosmetics and personal care products.