Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES 28)
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- INCI Name: Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Chemical Name: Sodium lauryl ether sulfate
- CAS No: 3088-31-1 / 9004-82-4 / 68891-38-3 / 1335-72-4 / 68585-34-2 / 91648-56-5
Sodium laureth sulfate, referred to as AES or SLES, is an anionic surfactant found in many personal care products like soaps and shampoos. It is an inexpensive and effective foaming agent. Easily soluble in water and ethanol, with strong compatibility. It has excellent decontamination, wetting, foaming, emulsification and other properties, and has good biodegradability.
SLES is derived from sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), but is milder and less irritating than sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). It was initially used as an ingredient for synthetic detergents that are manufactured as cheaper alternatives to old fashioned soaps.Manufacturers and users discovered that it created thicker foam, produced stronger degreasers, and prevented soap scum. Thus, it became a popular ingredient.
Today, many manufacturers use it in a wider array of products, from cosmetics to cleaning products to food.
Uses & Applications
- Cosmetic products: facial cleansers, exfoliants, hand sanitizers, hair dyes, lip balms, lotions, makeup foundations, makeup removers, nail polish, shaving cream, styling gels, and sunscreens.
- Cleaning products: all-purpose cleaners, bath salts, body wash, car wash cleaners, engine degreasers, floor cleaners, laundry detergents, liquid hand soaps, mouthwash, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, and teeth whitening products.
White or light yellow viscous liquid
No strange odors
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet — Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Material Safety Data Sheet– Sodium Laureth Sulfate
It is an anionic surfactant, widely used in toothpaste foaming agent, cosmetic emulsifier, shampoo, bath agent and other washing cosmetics surfactant.
It has the functions of foaming, emulsifying, dispersing, decontamination and reducing surface tension in water.
It is an anionic surfactant, referred to as AOS. It has excellent detergency, foaming power, emulsifying power and other properties