- INCI Name: Panthenol
- Chemical Name: Butanamide, 2,4-dihydroxy-N-(3-hydroxypropyl)-3,3-dimethyl-, (2R)-; dl-Panthenol
- CAS No: 81-13-0
D-panthenol is the precursor of vitamin B5, so it is also called provitamin B5. It is an odorless, transparent, highly viscous, and colorless liquid at room temperature.
Due to the nature of vitamin B5 and its instability, it is easily affected by temperature and formula, thereby reducing the biological application rate.So, its precursor, panthenol, is generally used in cosmetic formulations. It is more stable in nature and better in penetration, and can penetrate deep into the skin tissue to exert its maintenance effect.
Three functions of panthenol
- Skin Conditioning. Panthenol absorbed by the skin can increase the content of hyaluronic acid in the skin and promote the metabolism of protein, sugar and fat in the human body.
- Strong moisturizing. Panthenol has a small molecular weight, so it can effectively penetrate into the stratum corneum, moisturize the stratum corneum on the skin surface, and play a strong moisturizing role.
- Improve rough skin. Panthenol can effectively improve rough skin and make skin soft and tender.
Uses & Applications
Personal care and cosmetic
- Skin care: It improves hydration and elasticity of the skin, reduces itching and inflammation of the skin, improves skin elasticity, and accelerates the rate of healing of wounds. In topical creams, it is found to be in a concentration of 1-5%
- Hair care: It binds to the hair shaft readily, so, it is a common component of commercial shampoos and hair conditioners (in concentrations of 0.1-1%). It coats the hair and seals its surface, lubricating the hair shaft and giving it a shiny appearance. It can also help protect your hair from styling or environmental damage by locking in moisture
Clear viscous liquid
Colorless or yellowish
Specific optical rotation [α]D20
Refractive index, 20℃
Water content, %
Residue on ignition, %
Heavy metals (Pb), ppm
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet –D-panthenol
Material Safety Data Sheet–D-panthenol
Tranexamic acid is a new type of high-efficiency whitening agent that can remove melanin and effectively lighten dark spots.
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate is a water-soluble whitening agent，make the skin moisturizing, white and tender.
Niacinamide (vitamin B3) acts as a moisturizing, antioxidant, anti-aging, anti-acne, lightening & whitening agent.