- INCI Name: Climbazole
- Chemical Name: 2-Butanone, 1-(4-chlorophenoxy)-1-(1H-imidazol-1-yl)-3,3-dimethyl-
- CAS No: 38083-17-9
Climbazole is a powerful anti-dandruff active with a long history of successful use.It has broad-spectrum bactericidal properties, is suitable for both leave-on and rinse-off hair care formulations.
Climbazole is primarily aimed at haircare products where the anti-dandruff properties are renowned for their effectiveness. Climbazole however is found in some eczema treatments for its antifungal properties.
- Climbazole provides excellent activity against the main cause of dandruff, Malassezia species. The mechanism is to eliminate the external factors that produce dandruff through sterilization and bacteriostasis, so as to achieve the effect of anti-itch.
- Climbazole has a stable structure and will not cause irritation to the scalp due to hydrolysis. It is stable in acidic and slightly alkaline media, and has good stability to light and heat, not hygroscopic (does not absorb water from the air).
- Climbazole provides no formation of colored complexes with metal ions which cause discoloration in formulations.
- It has good compatibility with perfume oils and other commonly used hair care raw materials and is soluble in alcohol, glycols, surfactants and certain perfume oils.
Uses & Applications
- It is mainly used for anti-itching and anti-dandruff conditioning shampoos and hair care shampoos.
- It can also be used for antibacterial soap, shower gel, medicated toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.
- Recommended dosage: 0.4%~0.8%.
White crystalline powder
Residue on ignition
Benzyl alcohol (approx) – 55%Ethanol (96%) – 50%
Phenoxyethanol – 40%; Ethoxydiglycol – 30%
Propylene Glycol – 30%; Butylene Glycol – 30%
Dipropylene Glycol – 30%; Certain perfume oils – 50%
Climbazole is soluble in alcohol, glycols, surfactants and perfume oils but, is insoluble in water.
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet –Climbazole
Material Safety Data Sheet– Climbazole
Piroctone Olamine has excellent antipruritic effect, has a unique effect on eliminating skin itching.
Zinc Pyrithione can be used in shampoos for dandruff, it inhibits the growth of Gram-positive and negative bacteria and molds.
Salicylic acid act as anti-inflammatory agents, it removes excess flakey skin and can improve mild itching.