- INCI Name: Caprylhydroxamic Acid
- Chemical Name: N-hydroxyoctanamide
- CAS No: 7377-03-9
Caprylhydroxamic acid, an ideal organic acid, has excellent anti-bacterial activity at neutral pH, and can be used in a formula system free of preservative, it is also used as a chelating agent in cosmetics and personal care products.
- Efficacy. Caprylhydroxamic acid is an organic acid that keeps the non-ionizing state in the whole process from acid to neutral, an optimal anti-bacterial organic acid.It is still highly effective in inhibiting bacteria in a pH-neutral environment, and the efficacy of most other preservative alternatives in this environment is not very satisfactory.
- Chelation effect. Iron is a key element for microbial growth. During its growth, microorganisms release chelating agents (siderophores), capture Fe3+ from the environment and convert it into Fe2+; CHA has a high stability constant for chelating Fe3+, It can prevent mold from obtaining iron, thereby limiting the growth of mold.
- Compatibility.CHA has good compatibility with most cosmetic raw materials. The test results show that its antibacterial ability is not affected by additives such as surfactants, proteins, and Chinese herbal medicines in cosmetics. However, it reacts with clay raw materials such as a small amount of Fe3+ from bentonite and silica fume, which may produce a slight and imperceptible orange-red change. The higher the Fe3+ content, the more obvious the color change may be. Therefore, it is recommended to add EDTA-2Na as a chelating agent in the formula.
- Short-chain surface activity. Like octanediol, it also has an optimal carbon chain length (C8) that can promote the degradation of cell membrane structures.
CHA strongly inhibits the growth of mold. This product has been tested authoritatively by the British intertek company. The results show that the minimum inhibitory concentration of the sample to Aspergillus niger is: 0.078%.
After dissolving in the above glycols, propylene glycol, or glycerin, it can be added at room temperature or high temperature. It can also be added after the system is emulsified for O/W emulsion and cream. The range of PH value is: 2~8, with the increase of PH value, the activity will gradually weaken.
It is recommended to avoid long-term operation at high temperature, no more than 2 hours at 90°C, and no more than 6 hours at 60°C.
Recommended dosage 0.05—0.3%
Uses & Applications
Personal care and cosmetic
When used as a preservative, it should be compounded with glycols (such as phenoxyethanol, phenethyl alcohol, 1,2-octanediol, caprylic monoglyceride, ethylhexylglycerin, etc.) to achieve broad-spectrum antibacterial effect. It can be used in emulsification system, anhydrous formula and surfactant washing system. Such as cream, lotion, shower gel, shampoo and make-up.
Product Details of Caprylhydroxamic Acid
Melting point ℃
Volatile matter %
Hydroxylamine hydrochloride %
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet –Caprylhydroxamic Acid
Material Safety Data Sheet– Caprylhydroxamic Acid
Dichloroxylenol (DCMX) is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial chemical compound.
Cetylpyridinium Chloride (CPC)
Cetylpyridinium Chloride (CPC) is a very important surface active and bactericide in life.
Triclosan is world widely praised as a broad spectrum, efficient, security and non-toxicity antibacterial.