- INCI Name: Benzalkonium Chloride
- Chemical Name:Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C8-18-alkyldimethyl, chlorides
- CAS No: 8001-54-5/63449-41-2
Benzalkonium chloride (BZK, BKC, BAK, BAC), also known as alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (ADBAC) , is a type of cationic surfactant. It is an organic salt classified as a quaternary ammonium compound.
Benzalkonium chloride acts as a strong antibacterial and algaecide agent. It dissociates into cationic active groups in an aqueous solution. It offers clean, strong & rapid bactericidal power along with low toxicity and little irritation to skin and mucous membranes. It displays better activity in greater alkalinity and poor activity in emulsions. Benzalkonium chloride is also used as a disinfectant and deodorant in cosmetics.
Standard concentrates are manufactured as 50% and 80% w/w solutions. Its functions
- Antimicrobial : Helps slowing the growth of micro-organisms on the skin and counteracts the development of microbes
- Antistatic : Reduces static electricity by neutralizing electrical charge on a surface
- Deodorant : Reduces or masks unpleasant body odors
- Preservative : Inhibits the development of microorganisms in cosmetic products.
- Surfactant-dispersing : Help distribute an insoluble solid in a liquid phase. Suspensions or dispersions of liquids in a second liquid are generally called emulsions.
Especially for its antimicrobial activity, benzalkonium chloride is an active ingredient in many consumer products.
Uses & Applications
- Pharmaceutical products such as eye, ear and nasal drops or sprays, as a preservative.
- Personal care products such as hand sanitizers, wet wipes, shampoos, soaps, deodorants and cosmetics.
- Skin antiseptics and wound wash sprays, such as Bactine.
- Throat lozenges and mouthwashes, as a biocide
- Spermicidal creams.
- Cleaners for floor and hard surfaces as a disinfectant, such as Lysol and Dettol antibacterial spray and wipes.
Pale yellow to colorless, transparent liquid
Pale yellow transparent liquid
Pale yellow transparent gel
Active Matter %
PH (1% aq. Solution)
Download Data Sheet
Technical Data Sheet — Benzalkonium Chloride
Material Safety Data Sheet– Benzalkonium Chloride
It is a cationic quaternary ammonium compound, which is also a very important surface active and bactericide in life.
CAS No: 112-02-7
Cetrimonium chloride is a kind of cationic surfactant, which has good functions of softening, nursing and antistatic.
CAS No: 81859-24-7
It acts as an excellent conditioning, anti-static agent, film former, thickening and fixative in all personal care products.